Texas Ten Step Star Achiever Breastfeeding Learning Collaborative
WHAT: A quality improvement initiative to help Texas hospitals create environments in which women’s breastfeeding choices can best be supported, with the goal of increasing exclusive breastfeeding in the immediate postpartum period and continuing through six months of age.
WHO: Up to 81 teams of Texas-based hospitals broken into three geographically-based cohorts.
WHEN: June 2012 to June 2017
FUNDER: This project is supported by the Texas Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program and the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS).
OUR ROLE: Facilitate a Breakthrough Series Collaborative to apply quality improvement methodology to improve rates of exclusive breastfeeding in the state of Texas. Provide an environment for rapid cycle Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) testing and the robust exchange of ideas with the support of world-class perinatal and quality improvement experts.
If you are interested in learning more about this project, please email: TXBreastfeeding@nichq.org
- Read 5 Resources to Use and Share this National Breastfeeding Month
- Read Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding Videos Showcase Strategies for Successful Implementation
- Read Why I Participate: By Parent Partner Ivette Torres
- Read Why I Participate: By Parent Partner Mercédez Cahue
- Read WIC Reps Bridge Gap Between Community and Hospitals through Breastfeeding Support
- Read The Long-Term Value of Better Breastfeeding Support
- Read The Value of Increasing Exclusive Breastfeeding along the Texas-Mexico Border
- Read Supporting Breastfeeding Across A Hospital System
- Read 4 Tips for Reducing Formula Supplementation in the Hospital
- Read 33 Texas Hospitals Join Statewide Effort to Improve Breastfeeding Rates
- Read Parent Partner Advice: Get Involved in Any Way That You Can!
- Read Retraining Staff to Prioritize Breastfeeding
- Read Why I Participate: By Parent Partner Malorie Thurman
- Read Improving Statewide Breastfeeding Rates through the Learning Collaborative Model
- Read Fathers Hold Key to Breastfeeding Success
- Read How to Grow a Breastfeeding Initiative from Local to Statewide
- Read Breastfeeding Training Requires Creativity, Innovation
- Read Hospitals Work Together to Improve Breastfeeding in Texas
- Read Hospital Staff, Leadership Support Critical to Breastfeeding Support
- Read Paying for Formula Puts Hospitals in Control
- Read Don’t Cry as Pacifiers Go Bye-Bye
- Read A Big Solution for a Big State: How Texas is Improving Breastfeeding Rates
- Read Why I Participate by Parent Chair Trang Neimetz